Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Don Don is offline

Default How do I prevent Word from adding target="_BLANK" to half my l

?B?QmFyYmFyYQ==?= wrote in
:

Thanks for your answer, Robert. If I understand you correctly, it is
simply unpredictable whether Word 2000 is going to set a link to open
in a new window. And there is no way of knowing by looking at settings
in Word (either 2000 or 2003). In the case of these four documents, I
surely created all four hyperlinks in the same way as each other.
Probably it was with the icon in the toolbar. Well, I find it somewhat
annoying that Word randomly decides whether a link is supposed to open
in a new window or not. But I guess it is what it is. Thanks again.

Using Word to either create or view web pages is NOT a sound practice.

Have no clue how to prevent Word from inserting the new page option
randomly.
You might try unselecting "Updating Links on Save" in the Web Options.

However, it's a simply matter to use any text editor (most Win comes with
Notepap) and search and replace the following

target="_blank"

replace with delete

save and upload the revised page.

There are also many free html editors that offer string repalcement across
selected folders.
I use "Search and Replace 98", which has proven a very benefical time
saver.