It's possible that you have some Space Before/After in your paragraphs (you
could have added 12 pts Space Before by pressing Ctrl+0). If that's not the
case, go to the Layout tab of Page Setup and make sure the vertical
alignment is set to Top and not Justified.

"M Hirsh" wrote in message
I'm usiing Word 2000 with Windows XP Pro.
I'd been writing a double spaced manuscript. To go to the next paragraph,

click "enter" once. It had been working fine, but all of a sudden, when I

do
that, it gives me four spaces instead of two between the paragraphs.

I've gone to paragraph formatting, and can't seem to fix the problem

(which
popped up out of nowhere). If I leave the spacing at "double space" it

keeps
giving me four lines between graphs. Any help is appreciated, because my
editor is going to kill me.
Thanks.
Michael Hirsh