Alan Zarky

Default Getting Auto Text with F3 with trailing text in document

In Word for Dos (which, frankly, I miss greatly for many ways it was more
functional than Office's Word), I could get an Auto Text entry by hitting F3
(or whatever key it was) even if the cursor (sorry, insertion point) was
between the Auto Text name and other characters. Thus, if my Auto Text name
was "p", and the cursor was after a "p," hitting F3 would get the Auto Text
even if the "p" in the document was followed by other text. In , the "p"
apparently must be followed by a blank or punctuation. This is very
unhelpful for those of us who edit by typing in the middle of whereever we
were, such that the insertion point is often right in front of old text that
I might or might not be using anymore. I am assuming there is no way around
this, since the way Word now works, you can hit F3 from anywhere within the
Auto Text name (not clear why one would want that, since presumably one
would type the name and then F3). But just in case there is, please let me
know. (Another feature I miss sorely is that one could actuate not only
text but commands with F3. Now, one apparently can only actuate commands
through control keys, which limits one to two letter combinations, a much
more limited way to name things. If there is a way around that, please let
me know.)