You can insert the graphics as links. It will also help to work in Normal
view as much as possible, with "Picture placeholders" enabled.

"Top Spin" wrote in message
I need to produce a fairly long document that will have lots of
embedded graphics on every page. Overall, the document could be
several hundred pages, but it can easily be broken up into chapters

I am about 20% of the way through chapter one and Word is dying. It
takes almost 20 seconds to save and this is increasing. I need a
different approach.

Is there some way that I can save the graphics as separate documents
or in some kind of a library? The graphics don't change that much. I
am mostly editing the text and maybe moving the graphics around. If I
could save a pointer or link of some kind, the document would be
manageable.

I wouod appreciate any pointers or hints as to where to start reading
or studying on how to best accomplish this.

The graphics are generated from several sources: Visio, Publisher, and
a music notation program. The music notation program can output its
images in jpeg format which I could load into Visio or Publsher if
that makes it easier.

Sorry for crossposting. I didn't want to multipost and I wasn't sure
where the best place to start this might be.

Thanks

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)