Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default Endnotes in seperate file?

What do you mean by "logical links maintained". If you want to be able
to double-click the endnote number and jump to the other file, probably
not gonna happen. If you just need to keep the numbers, that's feasible.

Basically, here's the process--you make a COPY of the document, you
convert all your endnotes to plain text, freezing the numbers as they
are, and you re-constitute it manually as the publisher wants it. If you
have to edit in such a way that the endnote numbers will change, you'll
need to return to your original file, do the edits, then re-do the
convert to text and re-organize.

To convert the endnotes to text while keeping the existing numbers,
you'll need a macro.

For the macro, see this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.word.docmanagement/browse_frm/thread/a60669f0936214e0/205fdab76e4e48eb
[line wrap may break long URL and require pasting back together
manually, or search the group, keywords: Doug Robbins convert endnotes text]

Note that what shows up as the 3rd/4th line of the macro code should be
all on one line.

The macro might not handle restarting endnote sequences, so you might
want to break the book into the chapter files and then convert each one.
I can't remember--run it on a COPY and test.

If you don't know how to use macros, see this link:

What do I do with macros sent to me by other newsgroup readers to help me
out?

ROppenheim wrote:
Hi,
I've looked at several of the endnote issues, but don't think this
specifically has been covered. For a book, I have a publisher who wants 1)
chapters saved in separate files and 2) the endnotes for all chapters
consolidated and also placed in yet another wholly separate file (NOT a
section), with the logical links maintained, naturally. Any thoughts?

R Oppenheim