Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Default IF statement problem !Syntax Error, !

Hi Jlawson,

I created a IF, THEN, ELSE field in word that is based on certain
fields that the user will fill in.

What are these fields, more exactly? Are they form fields in the document? Mail
merge fields? Something else?

With very few exceptions, you can't type a field's name into another field (the IF
field, here). Word won't recognize it as a field and doesn't know where the
ifnormation is coming from. The names must also be in fields. But the kind of field
you can use depends very much on where the original information is coming from...

and as long as we're playing q&a: Which version of word are you using?

OPNet = $5,000
OPMet = $2,000

DedNet = $1,000
DedMet = $100

NetPer = 80%

txtEC1 = $100
txtEC2 = $2500
etc...

This is what I have but I feel I'm missing something simple in the
formula...

!Syntax Error, !

{=IF((txtEC1+txtEC2+txtEC3+txtEC4+txtEC5+txtEC6+tx tEC7)(OPNet-OPMet),(OPNet-OPMet)
,{

IF((txtEC1+txtEC2+txtEC3+txtEC4+txtEC5+txtEC6+txtE C7)(DedNet-DedMet),((txtEC1+txtE
C2+txtEC3+

txtEC4+txtEC5+txtEC6+txtEC7)-(DedNet-DedMet))-(((txtEC1+txtEC2+txtEC3+txtEC4+txtEC5
+txtEC6+txtEC7)-(DedNet-DedMet))*NetPer)+(DedNet-DedMet),(txtEC1+txtEC2+txtEC3+txtE
C4+txtEC5+txtEC6+txtEC7)
}) }

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)