Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default How can I see the current style for the current selection?

If this is Word 2003 or earlier and you have the Formatting toolbar
displayed, you can look at the Style box. But I'm betting this is Word 2007,
and the answer for that version is that, if it's not one of the Quick
Styles, you actually can't unless you display the Styles task pane or add
the Style box to the QAT.

http://word.mvps.org