Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
esseco esseco is offline

Default Help please with table to text problem

Thanks for your advice. I will give it a try and get back to the forum.
Thanks,
Di

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

esseco was telling us:
esseco nous racontait que :

I am trying to convert a table (an index for a book) that has people
names, ships names and place names to text.
The people and place names are in TNR normal text and the
Ships names are in italics.
When I select the table, then convert to text either by paragraph or
comma, the names that are in normal text change to italics and the
italic names (ships) changes to normal. Because this is book three of
a series of 5 volumes, I need them to be identical in the layout.

If I understand correctly, when you convert the table into text, the items
that used to be in separate cells on the same row become part of the same
paragraph and Word applies the same style to the whole lot, thus swapping
the font attribute... Which is something Word does, for seemingly no good
reason sometimes.

That being said, I could not reproduce your situation... I guess I do not
have enough information about your actual set up, especially regarding the
styles. And the Word version as well, always mention when you write in the
newsgroup... It often makes a huge difference.

You might want to try the following though:

Before converting the table, create a "non-italic" character style and an
"italic" character style. Apply each style to the appropriate column and
then convert the table into text. Does that help?

--
Jean-Guy Marcil