Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Charles Kenyon

Default Global Template Question

To edit a global template, it must be open, not simply loaded in memory.
Open means you can look at it on the screen. It will be one of the files
listed on your Windows menu. Loaded in memory means you can find it checked
under the Templates and Addins dialog.

See http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm for step-by-step
instructions on moving / sharing / copying / backing-up customizations
including AutoText, AutoCorrect, keyboard assignments, toolbars, macros,
etc.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Deb McLellan" wrote in message
I am a WP user making the transition to Word (currently Word XP), and am
attempting to understand global templates. I create a global template and
give it a name - create macros to be held in that template with that
template open, and then save it to the startup folder.

With that template open, when I select Macro|Record New Macro, the choices
for saving the macros are "All Documents (Normal.dot)" and "Documents
based on MacroHolder.dot". Neither option seems to give me what I want.
I thought there should be a way to save them to the template itself. I
can create the macros fine and they work on my computer - but when I load
them to the server I have problems accessing the macros from other
workstations - even though I think I have pointed those workstations to
the correct startup and workgroup folders.

I appreciate the rambling nature of the email and aplogize for that, but
I've been going around in circles between the manual I have (very basic)
and the various help sites I have accessed. I'm happy to figure it out
for myself, but I think I'm missing some basic understanding of something
and I don't know how better to ask the question at this point.

Thanks for any help.

Deb