Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
larry larry is offline

Default Page numbering in Word leaves out the number 12. Why? Help

Really? I have been working with Word for years and never knew that about
sections and page numbers. But what you described is exactly what is
happening with one caveat. Pages 1-7 are the body and the last two are the
TOC. Using your "fake out" would work (because it would be in the TOC) except
we want lower case roman numerals and when I tell it to start at zero, I get
an error message that it has to start between 1 and 32776. I guess the Romans
didn't have anything to symbolize zero. So from your description, it sounds
like there is nothing I can do about it. Correct?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

It still isn't clear, but let me describe what I think is happening, and you
tell me whether it's correct...

You have section 1 containing the TOC, starting (by default) with page 1 and
with the page numbers displayed as roman numerals. At the end of section 1
is a Next Page section break.

In section 2 you want to restart the page numbers with 1, now showing arabic
numerals.

Correct so far?

Now the big guess: Section 1 contains an odd number of pages, ending on page
iii or v or some odd page number. Is that correct?

If so, then there is no simple way to avoid a blank page because Word
insists on placing odd-numbered pages (in this case, page iii in section 1
and page 1 in section 2) on right-hand pages. There must be an even-numbered
page between the sections (iv or 0) that will be blank. When you make the
page numbering continue from the previous section, the first page of section
2 takes the even number (4) so there is no blank.

You could try faking out Word by starting the numbering of section 2 at page
0, and then replacing the {PAGE} fields with the calculated field {= {PAGE}
+ 1}. That would get rid of the blank while showing the page numbers you
want. The problem is that now the TOC will show the wrong page numbers, and
there's no way to fix that.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Larry wrote:
I'm afraid I was not very clear in my response. The problem is that
when there is a section break between the body and the TOC, as therer
need it to be, there is a blank page. I have checked the "page setup,
layout" and all sections are set to "New Page". The problem is that
when the numbering format in section 2 is set to
"Start At" the blank page appears. If I change it to "Continue from
previous section" the blank page disappears. Any thoughts?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Whether the page numbers are continuous from the previous section or
start with a different number has _nothing_ to do with how the
numbers are displayed, whether Roman or Arabic.

The Roman vs. Arabic display is set by a switch in the {PAGE} field
in the header or footer. If you include the \*Roman switch, the
numbers will be upper case Roman numerals; if you include \*roman
they'll be lower case roman numerals. If you include the \*arabic
switch or omit the switch completely, they'll be digits.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 13:37:01 -0700, Larry
wrote:

I have the exact problem and checked the Layout and it is already
set to "New Page". However, when I change the Header/Footer to
"Continue from pervious section" the problem resolves itself. The
issue now is that I don't want it to continue numbering from the
previous section as this section starts a TOC and I want lower case
Roman numerals. Any suggestions?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

ce wrote:
In my document I have 19 pages. The numbering goes from 1-11,
skips 12, and then goes from 13-20? Any suggestions?

Turn on nonprinting characters (click the ΒΆ button) and look at
the boundary between pages 11 and 13 for a section break.

If you find one there, it may be an Odd Page break; if so, it may
be there to change other section properties, such as margins. In
that case, put the cursor on page "13". Go to File Page Setup
Layout, change the section start to "New page", and click OK.

If it's a Next Page section break, then the following section may
be set explicitly to start on page 13. To change that, put the
cursor on page "13". Go to View Header and Footer. With the
cursor now in the header, the Header & Footer toolbar should be
visible. Click the Format Page Number button on the toolbar. At
the bottom of the resulting dialog, if the page number isn't set
to "Continue from previous section", click that option and click
OK.

For more help, see
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...thSections.htm.