Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default change caption formatting

Captions that include the numbering from Heading 1 make use of STYLEREF
fields which extract the numbering of the preceding Heading 1 paragraph in
the text. Make sure that you haven't added a blank paragraph styled as a
heading with its numbering suppressed; with such a paragraph present, the
STYLEREF field would display a zero.

Generally, avoid blank paragraphs and use Spacing Before/After instead. If
you insist on blank paragraphs, make sure to apply Normal style to them. To
quickly apply Normal style to a paragraph, place the insertion point in that
paragraph and press Ctrl+Shift+N.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Michelle" wrote in message
My heading styles are based on Word's, but modified for font, size,
spacing,
etc.

My headings are not in text boxes.

"Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

Did you use Word's built-in heading styles (heading 1 for chapter 1,
etc.)?
Are your headings in text boxes?

Michelle wrote:
I am merging several smaller docs into one large doc.

The small docs will become chapters in the new doc.

The small docs use figures with the following formatting: Figure 1,
Figure
2, Figure 3, etc.

I want to automatically change the figure formats to the following
numbering
Fig 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, etc., based on the chapter numbers.

When I try to do this I get the following result: Figure 1 in chapter 2
becomes Fig 0.1, fig 2 becomes Fig 0.2, Fig 3 becomes Fig 0.3, even
though
the chapters are numbered automatically and correctly with the Styles
function.

I want Fig 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, etc.

Help!

.