Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jayno55

Default Creating an accent above any letter in word

Thanks for quick reply Suzanne (sorry I made an error in sending the question
twice!). Afraid I don't know what you mean by EQ fields or macrons, but an
acute accent won't work anyway, I do need a vertical. I have accessed 'Add
features' via my MS2k Office disc to add Ariel Unicode MS to my system. But
when I open Insert/Symbol/Ariel Unicode MS I can't find "combining vertical
line above" in the scroll down 'subset' menu. There is a subset called
"combinging diacritics (symbols)" and another called "combining half marks"
but neither of these includes a vertical dash. I can see vertical dashes
(e.g. in 'Box drawing', 'Block elements' and 'Geometric shapes'), but if I
insert them into a document they simply appear on their own in a letter
space. I cannot see how to insert them over an actual letter. Presumably
there is a procedure one uses that I simply don't know about? I'm also
unfamiliar with terms you use like 030D, or where to find these? Can you get
me any further? Appreciate your taking time on this. jayno55 :-)

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Overbar.htm. Note that Unicode
character 02C9, though not a combining diacritic, works well with an EQ \o
field as a macron (though there are several other macron or overbar
characters). Oh, wait, you want a *vertical* dash? Hmm. You're sure an acute
accent (character 0301) wouldn't do? I don't think there's anything in the
"(normal text)" character set that's going to work. Perhaps 030D in Arial
Unicode MS (Combining Vertical Line Above)? That won't even require an EQ
field.

"jayno55" wrote in message
I am involved in typing romanised versions of sanskrit words for people

who
do chanting of sanskrit verses. When a part of a word is chanted at a

higher
note than normal this is signified by marking a short vertical line (the
equivalent of a vertical 'dash') directly above the given letter. I want

know how to do this as a Text (superscript?) procedure in Word. I don't

want
to use Draw as the solution.

I have Word 2000 v.9.0.2720