You need to have a specific Table Title style, and it needs to have Space
Before (*don't* use an extra paragraph to create this space), and it needs
to be formatted as "Keep with next" so it will stay with the table. If the
table headings are set to Bottom alignment, especially if the heading row is
set to an Exact height, and/or if the Table Heading style has some Space
Before, then these could all contribute to extra space between the table and
its title.

"Max" wrote in message
I even went back and made sure that the Widow/Orphan control was checked.
There is no space before or after any of the items, except the one blank
space (actually it's a blank line I used the 'enter/return' key to create)
after the paragraph & before the title line, because that one extra space
gives the appearance that the title belongs more to the table that follows
it, rather than the paragraph preceding it.

It's not the end of the world to have it the way it is, I am just a bit
fussy when it comes to how I want my work to be perceived. It bugs me

that I
can't do what I want, and bugs me even more that it is inconsistent with

the
same concept further on in the same document. It tends to make people

think
that I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to word processing, tsk.

Like
I said, not the end of the world, but it goes against the image I want to
project.

Thanks again, Max

"Max" wrote:

Hmm, I must be doing something wrong. I put the cursor in the center of

the
words, hit Ctrl+Q, and my title was left-justified, lol. Then I tried
"highlighting" the title in question, hit Ctrl+Q and the same thing

happened.
Next, I wanted to verify the paragraph formatting; it is indeed already

set
at 0 points, and single spaced. Just to make sure, I re-formatted both

the
preceding paragraph, the empty line following, and the next line with

the
title, to zero points and single spacing.

Oddly enough, I have another table inserted, a few lines further ahead,

and
that appears as I want it to. I don't believe I did anything

differently for
the second table. Frustrating, this is.

Now what?

Thanks again, Max

"Luc" luc."sanders2" wrote:

Max,
Most probably you have applied "Space After" in the paragraph

preceeding
your table. Put your cursor in the offending paragraph and press

Ctrl+Q.
That should put the space after at 0pt.
Luc
"Max" schreef in bericht
I want to place a title on the line preceding the table, but I want

it to
stay and look "attached" to the table like a caption. The way it

is, the
Title is on a separate line, and when I can't close up the space

between
the
title and the table. The title looks like it "belongs" to the

preceding
paragraph, and not to the table that it is supposed to.

TIA, Max