MMC

Default How do I limit the space for a text field in creating a form?

I have created a form for my school. On the first line I have put in space
for the name, DOB and Gender using form text fields and form checkboxes. I
have limited the characters for the name and DOB fields. The number of
characters allowed should easily fit into the amount of space available on
the line before the space for DOB starts. When I protect the form, then fill
in these spaces, the DOB and Gender, located on the right side of the row,
move down to the next row. How do I stop these from wrapping to the next row?