Let's hope Margaret will weigh in here since I can't answer that question.

"Merle" wrote in message
When I read the articles, the light bulb went on. The hierarchy also

explains
the formatting changes that arrive. I was hoping to avoid VBA because I'm

not
the only person here who will work on this document. I need a fix that
doesn't require macros and programming scripts. Is there another way to

keep
my list at level 1?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://www.syntagma.demon.co.uk/FAQs...artMethods.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Merle" wrote in message
When I am working with numbered lists, I have problems restarting

numbering.
In some documents, I can restart numbering without any difficulty. In

others,
the radio button is grayed out. Sometimes, I can restart numbering,

but
that
triggers indents, new font sizes, and other unwanted formatting

changes.

I don't want to use complicated macros because other people who don't

have
advanced skills will have to edit these documents in the future. I've

tried
creating a custom style based on "no style" for my numbered list (my

personal
preference) and resorted to manually typing numbers, creating

additional
custom styles (e.g., Numbered list P1, Numbered list P2), and ever

variation
I can think of.

I've started with brand new documents and edited older ones. There

seems
be no rhyme or reason behind the unselectability of a very important

radio
button.
I usually get my documents from others, which complicates matters.

Clearing
formatting and pasting the text in a blank document has had mixed

results.