Jezebel

I think we're maybe talking at cross purposes. Can you explain how you can
'change the start-at value to 1' while 'the number remains unchanged' ? Did
you change the number or not?

"Merle" wrote in message
When I go to customize and change the start-at value to to 1, the number
remains unchanged while the paragraph formatting has changed. My original
indent becomes a tab marker, the hanging indent disappears, and the
paragraph
indents further. This is despite making a custom style for this list. I
purposely use unorthodox title so Word will not associate the custom style
with some other one. I use the document title and the type of numbering
I'm
doing (alpha or numeric).

One thing is very likely: This happens in a document that could have been
treated with outline numbering, but wasn't. I wonder if there is a
hierarchy
conflict because Word assumes this is an outline style (Numeral I,
followed
by ordinal A, then points 1, 2, and 3).

If this is the case, will my problem go away if I create an outline style
cover all the lists?

"Klaus Linke" wrote:

Jezebel wrote:
You can always restart numbering, even if the radio button is
grayed-out,
by
clicking Customise and changing the 'start-at' value.

Merle wrote:
Sorry -- I've done that over and over to no avail.

Really? In what way didn't that work?

If the retstart button is grayed out while you are in an auto-numbered
paragraph, it's because Word thinks that paragraph already belongs to a
new
list.
I can't think of another reason... and setting the start-at value should
work in that case.

The restart methods described in Margaret Aldis' web pages are much
better,
but if you are stuck with old documents and need to edit those without
some
major overhaul or a VBA solution, it should be possible.

Greetings,
Klaus