Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
cocciastella cocciastella is offline

Default problem with trademark symbols word 2003 and 2007

See email "How do I get symbols to display in mail merge". I think this is
resolved.

"cocciastella" wrote:

Sorry for long post to explain the problem.

I've created a mail merge, text file datasource that pulls from a database.
In UI the user enters trademark character. In the datasource the trademark
char is displayed:

"Classic®","Oakridge PRO 30„¢","High Ridge with Sealant","High Style„¢ with
Sealant","Hip and Ridge with Sealant"

When the user tries to merge the datasource with this data, word displays
the Header Record Delimiter and asks for the Field delimiter (comma is the
field delimiter). It then displays the unmerged document with the merge
fields. The merge works perfectly for other datasources and works for the
Registered Trade Mark and the Copyright symbols. It seems that it is failing
on the Trademark. I have also had it ask for the Language and it was
assuming it is Japanese. I found a post and changed the default language to
English US. The last couple of times I tried to create the merge for this
datasource it did not ask for the language.

If I initiate the merge from the failed word doc by selecting Letters and
Mailings etc, etc, and merging to a new doc it works. Of course this is not a
good solution.

TIA