Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default Table captions converted to figure captions, & vice versa

After changing the codes, did you remember to update the fields? You can
force an update by selecting the whole document and then pressing F9. If
that doesn't help, I'd definitely agree with Suzanne: the document is
corrupt.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"bufossil" wrote in message
For a while I thought the following solution was going to work:

1. If the first caption in the document point to a Figure (which means

all
Figures and Tables in the document are called "Figure"), navigate down

the
document and find the first table.
2. Toggle the Field Codes on.
3. You see something like: Figure{SEQ Figure \* ARABIC}
4. Manually change both instances of "Figure" to "Table."
5. The preliminary indication was that Word would now allow both Table
captions and Figure captions in the same document at the same time.

However, upon further analysis, this did not fix the problem.

Apparently,
when you manually overwrite "Figure" and replace it with "Table," Word

still
thinks that everyting is a "Figure" and does not retain a separate

numbering
system for the objects that now appear as "Tables" in the Field Codes.

Still requesting assistance for this one. Thanks!

"bufossil" wrote:

When I reveal the Field Codes with Alt + F9, this is what I see.

The caption itself = Figure{ SEQ Figure \* ARABIC}

The cross-reference = { REF _Ref165352750 \h \* MERGEFORMAT }

I think everything in the field codes is normal, with the exception

of the
"\* MERGEFORMAT" part. However, the captions themselves are what

seem to be
corrupted, not the cross-references to them.

Any ideas about how to correct the problem would be appreciated.

Thanks!

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Did you create some captions manually? Note that if you later make

some
modification in the Caption dialog box (for example, changing the

number
format), Word will try to alter all captions (of the same type),

which
could destroy any manual changes.

What are the field codes of the problem captions? Press Alt+F9 to

find
out.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"bufossil" wrote in message
I forgot to mention, I am using Word 2003 on Windows XP SP2.

Thanks!

"bufossil" wrote:

I am working in a 100+ page document that contains about 30

figures
and
about 30 tables. Without warning, Word converted all captions

Table
captions. If I change any of the Table captions back to a

Figure
caption,
all captions convert to Figure captions.

Does anyone know what is going on? I found 1 person on the

Web (on
different Web site) that had the same problem, but no one

provided a
suggestion.

Thanks!