emomobile emomobile is offline
Junior Member

Default Slightly different header on each page

I've been hired to redo/clean up an EMT manual for the local hospital. Down the right side of each page they need a color (to identify the chapter), and a section number and name. Exhibit A:

The way they had it set up is to manually insert that on every page, alternating from the left side to the right side (since it's printed double sided). The problem with doing that is when you have to add a page, it screws everything up because now all the strips are on the inside of the page. Exhibit B:

To solve the problem of them every being on the wrong side, I thought I could use headers. I learned how to turn a header and put it on down the side of the page instead of the top, and I learned how to divide sections so that I can have different Colors for the different chapters. However I can't for the life of me figure out how to have the section names and numbers (like "Section 6.15.1 Spinal Trauma - Cont.") from Exhibit A.

Making a new section every single page seems unmanageable, as this is 600 pages long. If only I could have a text box in every header that I could easily edit. But then I have the same problem of not being able to add pages without screwing everything up. Advice?