Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Blank Merge Fields Still Print when told not to.

Hi John,

Sorry, was away for a few days.

graham's expalined about the ctrl-F9 for the "special field braces". The
thing is that they are special characters used by Word and if you try to
cut/paste them into a newsgroup message, those characters will not appear as
you might hope and nothing in the cut/paste process will substitute
"ordinary" { and } characters. There are macros that can help in this area
(I expect graham's site has some) but I don't have them to hand right now...

As for the original problem, I have no idea what was wrong either - but glad
it seems to have been fixed.

Peter Jamieson
"JohnH" wrote in message
Thanks All,
I'm not sure what was in the original merge that caused the problem but I
simply deleted all the merge fields then re-selected them and all is well.
compaired a old version that still does not weok to a new version that
does
and I can't see any visible difference in the merge fields? All I know is
one works the other does not? I did't need any of the IF stuff.

This is what my merge looks like

«O_TITLE»
«O_OWNER»

It was the title field that was still printing when blank.

No clue what was different.

---The actual merge fields above have the brackets and merge stuff. It
just
doesnt copy and past correctly in here?

Thanks Again
John

"JohnH" wrote:

Word/Excel 2000
I have a word merge and an excel datafile. Even though I select don't
print
blank lines when data fields are empty, the blank field still prints..
The
excel file is a simple table of name, titles, addresses. I tried manually
blanking out fields that had data and they also print when I delete the
data.

Thanks
John