Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Word in Microsoft Works suite ?

Works is a single program (with lots of uses) and Works Suite is just that -
a suite of programs.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Dave" wrote in message
news
MS Works vs MS Works Suite? Thats not the comparison I was trying to make.
was trying to make a comparison between MS Works or the Suite (which I
thought were the same) and MS Office 2000 ( the more expensive office
suite).
I was under the impression that mscertified was asking about the
difference
between the MS Works word processor and the MS Word program in MS Office
2000. The reason I was under that impression is because at the end of his
comment he says that he and his wife can't afford to buy MS Office.

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

Hi Dave,

Your information on MS Works vs MS Works Suite is not quite correct

MS Works does not include a copy of MS Word, but MS Works Suite does
include MS Word. It used to be the current version of Word,
and it was an economical way to acquire Word (i.e. MS Works Suite was
often lower priced than MS Word standalone).

The present MS Works Suite products include one version back of MS Word.
So MS Works Suite 2006 (v8) includes MS Word 2002 and MS
Works 2007 (v9) will likely have MS Word 2003 rather than Word 2007.
http://microsoft.com/products/works

===========
"Dave" wrote in message
I don't know what "Word" you are referring to in MS Works7, 8 or Suite
2004
or 2005 because there is no "Word" in any MS Works suite. MS Works names
there applications in the suite "Works Word processor, Works Spreadsheet,
Works Calendar," so no there is no "Word" in MS Works. It is also not the
same as MS Word because MS Word is a much bigger and more features than
the
MS Works word processor. Also, MS Word is not a stand alone program (at
least
not that I've ever heard). MS Word is part of the MS Office suite. You're
right the MS Works word processor wont' save files in the .doc format,
but it
will save them in older versions of MS Word and then MS Word can open
many
different file types including older versions of MS Word documents. MS
Word
also opens up .RTF documents easily.

I understand how you feel about not being able to afford high priced
software, but have you tried places online like Ebay. I bought a genuine
copy
for around $30.
If you comfortable or don't want to look on Ebay for the MS Office suite
there is another alternative office suite which is very compatible with
MS
Office 2000 called
open office. The web site for open office is http://www.openoffice.org.
Hope this helps you