0013

No, I'm definitly getting it as text. Here is the field code

{ LINK Excel.Sheet.8 "\\\\ibnbs003\\piaprojections\\2005 Budget\\Budget
Book\\2005 Excel Budget Book.xls" "Inv by Region & BU!R9C3" \a \t }

"Jezebel" wrote:

Press Alt-F9 to display field codes. Your link field should look something
like this:

{ LINK Excel.Sheet.8 "C:\\My Documents\\Temp\\Book1.xls" MyCell \t }

Where MyCell is the name of the cell you want (assuming you've named it --
otherwise use SheetName!CellRef). The \t switch says you want plain text,
not an image of the cell containing the value, which seems to be what you're
getting at the moment.

"0013" wrote in message
I'm having a problem with pasting links from excel to a word document.

I'm
using Office 2003

I have a budget in Excel and I'm putting together an executive summary in
word. I want to link all of the numbers in word to the excel workbook.

For example, I want to write:
"Expenses in the Americas are xx%."
where the "xx" is a number linked from excel.

I copy the cell that has the number in excel, go to word and choose paste
special. I then select the paste as link option and choose unformatted

text
from the list box.

This works fine except that in addition to the number, additional spaces

are
also inserted. I can delete these, but they come back when I update the
link. So the sentence ends up looking like:
"Expenses in the Americas are xx%."

How do I get a link to just the number and not the extra spaces?

Thanks in advance for any help.