Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

Default Warning if opened read-only?

Every once in awhile, one of my documents will open in Read Only mode.
I think this happens when the backup program that I am using
(Carbonite), which backs up files continually over the Internet, has
the file open at the moment that I am trying to open it in Word.

Whatever the reason, is there a way that I can tell Word to issue a
warning when this happens?

I usually don't notice that this has happened so I go merrily along
making changes until I try to save it. Then I get the message. It
won't allow me to over-write the original document so I have to go
erase it and then save or some such process.