See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/SaveViewAndZoom.htm

"urbanista" wrote in message
To clarify - I need some way to turn off the **default** to open

thumbnails.
I have to look at different views of my documents occasionally (and

re-open
them) and I want the default setting to be thumbnails=off. Right now the
thumbnails turn back on every time I change views, even though I can turn
them off temporarily using the method suggested below.

thanks!
U.

"CyberTaz" wrote:

Hello-

Go to the View Menu & select Thumbnails to turn the pane off.

HTH |:)

"urbanista" wrote:

Ever since I made my last upgrade, a thumbnail view of all the pages

appears
to the left of my page in Word whenever I open a file or change the

view
(from print preview to page view, from page view to normal view). This

is
driving me CRAZY because I have some really large graphics that take

about 25
seconds to redraw in the thumbnails every time I switch! I can turn

off the
thumbnails temporarily once I'm in a view (and have waited my 25

seconds) but
I want them off, off, off, all the time, automatically when I open

files and
automatically off when I change my view. Please help!