Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Table of Contents Swallows Section Break

I believe the question *was* answered. You *must* have a paragraph break
after the TOC before any page or section break to keep it from being
absorbed into the TOC field. This is easier to see if you view field codes.

"Michelle White" Michelle wrote in message
It seems to me that the original question was never answered. I too am
experiencing the original problem - updating the TOC causes the section

break
at the end of the table of contents to be deleted. Actually, ANYTHING

added
to the last page of the table of contents is deleted when the TOC is

updated
(I use Ctrl+A then F9 to go ahead and update all crossreferences in the
document at the same time). I am using XP with Office 2003.

At a previous job I used Windows XP and Office 2003 and did not have this
problem. I use Heading 1 to begin the page after the TOC and that style

is
set to have a page break before, however, I also need a section break so

that
I can page number the TOC with Roman numerals and restart page numbering
(1,2,3...) in section 2 which is the first chapter of the manual.

I would guess this is a bug, maybe related to a setting in Options, but I
sure can't figure it out. I've been doing this for 2 years with XP and

Office
2003, written probably 20+ different operator's manuals and have not had

this
problem until the new installation on a new computer.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

And if all you need is a page break, don't use a manual page break
(Ctrl+Enter); instead, format the heading itself as "Page break before"
(Format | Paragraph | Line and Page Breaks).

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Peter Kryszak" wrote in

message
news
Well, after a bit more fiddling and realizing that Alt-F9 allows me to

put
the breaks where they should be I think I have it fixed. I think

there is
bug in the section insertion when in Print View that puts it in the

wrong
place even though it looks correct at first. The TOC and following

Heading 1
text are displayed together when the TOC is refreshed.

Anyway, use View Normal and Alt-F9. Move the {TOC...} junk up a bit

using
extra paragraph marks to separate it from the following Heading 1

text. I
had to select the {TOC} tag and Remove Formatting and do this for some

of
the
paragraph marks too.

Then I had to reapply the formatting to what should have been Heading

1
text
and add back the page break. Maybe that should have been a section

break;
I'll try that now.

Thanks to Shauna for the clue of using Alt-F9. I really do think

there
is
a bug in either the placement of the section/page break and/or in the

TOC
update code that swallows the paragraph marks and breaks.

--
Peter Kryszak
TeleCommunication Systems, Inc.