Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Is full justification available in Microsoft Word 2003 or 2007

You may find Word 2003 produces a better appearance if you set tools
options compatibility do full justification like Word Perfect 6 for
Windows. The same option is available to Word 2007.

ancientseeker wrote:
Thank you, Tom. This "Format Paragraph -- Justified" procedure is
OK, but it is not "Full Justification". The latter involves very
small changes in all the spacings between adjacent characters and it
is essentially undetectable. Look at a good newspaper: you cannot
tell at all which spacings have been changed. Here, on the other
hand, only the spacings between words have been adjusted and in some
cases it is very apparent that some spacings are abnormal. I am the
editor for a two-column newsletter and, because of the relative
narrowness of the columns, this effect with Word 2003 is quite
evident; sometimes it is even ugly! I do agree that for a document
with the full width of the page the result is usually all right,
especially with a fairly small font. But it is not what newspaper
people call full justification. Does Word 2007 do a better job?

Thanks all the same,
ancientseeker

"Tom Ferguson" wrote:

In word, justification is implemented as a paragraph property.
Navigate to Format Paragraph. You can also "turn it on" viz. apply
it using a keyboard shortcut (Ctrl j) or clicking on an icon on the
formatting toolbar.

Word does hyphenation. Page Layout Hyphenate.

--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"ancientseeker" wrote in
message ...
"Full Justification" is a typographical standard which results in
all lines
having exactly the same length. For a definition, see for instance
Wikipedia.
I have Word 2003 and I cannot find how to produce full
justification. There
are actually two kinds: (1) without hyphenation of some of the
words at the
ends of the lines, and (2) with hyphenation. The second kind is
capable of producing essentially perfect justification. It is used
in TeX, LaTex, and all good newspapers. There are no ragged edges
on the right side at all!