Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Contro

Default Mail Merge all things to one page

Hi Cindy,

:-) There was nothing wrong with your response, don't worry; it was
very helpful and informative, as always. I've tried what you said, but
am still having trouble though (typically!).

Firstly, well, it was difficult, as there are many merge sections on
the word template, but basically the code works, but doesn't do what I
want it to do (at least I think it's working right!). What happens is
that it does remove all the other merges other than the result and
grade, but it still keeps them on separate pages (so I just have a
blank page with the subect and grade on, with another page with all the
details as well as one of the subjects).

e.g.

Bob Smith
Geography Grade C

page break

Mathematics Grade C (no other details).

So basically I just want to remove this page break (a page for each
person and their results) I'm not sure if this should be happening
anyway really, as surely the code would remove any page breaks in order
for it to have any point!

It's so annoying :-( You'd think it would be a straight-forward thign,
as surely this would be a common thing to desire in a merge!

I hope you can help! Thank you for your patience, Cindy.

Contro.

Cindy M -WordMVP- wrote:

Hi Contro,

I'm sorry I didn't formulate my response any more clearly; my head was
trying to deal with correcting the link on my website and answer you...

When I looked at the example you showed me and saw the "NextIF" field,
the alarm bells went off. SkipIf and NextIf are "deprecated" (to use MS
parlance for things they don't support any more). Once you dig into the
newer article I think you'll find it makes more sense when thinking in
terms of a key field.

The key value of the current record will be compared against the value of
the last record (which is why the records have to be sorted according to
key field in the data source). If the two match, the part of the IF will
be executed that creates the list. If they differ, then it put out the
text for the "one" side of the equation.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org