Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default office 2007 compatibility pack cannot read dotx

Hi D.J.,

The limitation for the Office 2007 compatibility pack to work only with documents rather than template files for older versions is
an 'as intended' behavior at this point. Templates are apparently more complex to deal with in the conversion than documents.

The compatibility pack will work with the Word 2003 viewer.

If the document you have was created in a pre-release version of Word it may not be usable in release product versions.
==============
"DJElliott" wrote in message ...
Let me get this straight, cause I am not getting this. MS Office 2007 File
Compatibility Pack cannot/does not work with DOTX files? By DESIGN?

This makes most newer MS Templates unuseable. Is this by DESIGN?

When I try to open a file, in MS Office 2003, I get a "this is a pre-release
version of the Compatibilty Pack" error message. It provides a link to a
current Compatibiltiy Pack. Problem is, the link is the file I downloaded--I
never had any flavor of MS Office Beta on my machine.

I cannot find an MS Office 2007 file viewer, either.

thanks
--
DJELLIOTT
--