Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Hans L Hans L is offline

Default Cannot see a frame

Cindy and everyone else, I really have to apologize for not saying that
I use Word 2000. But you are right, Cindy, that these tables are the
results of scanning.

I guess I will just continue doing what I did, namely, when I see
something suspect, I'll convert the table to text, scroll down to find
the frames or text boxes, delete them (but not the text), and then
convert to table again.

Thank you all for your help.

Regards,

Hans L

Cindy M -WordMVP- wrote:

Hi Hans,

OK, if this is Word 2002 or 2003 (you haven't said) then a table can
be formatted to go over a frame. They still aren't embedded, but they
can be superimposed. It sounds like the problem is that, in these
documents, "floating" tables aren't allowed to break to the next
page. If this is Word 2002, then as I recall they simply can't. If
it's Word 2003, it's a setting in Tools/Options/Compatibility that's
making the tables behave like in Word 2002.

I'm guessing these RTF files were generated by a scanning software.
And this uses the tables and frames to recreate the original page
layout. Such documents are usually incredibly difficult to edit
because the scanning software is only concerned with making a
"snapshot", not creating an editable, Word document.

However, that did not help me finding the frames, a
few of which seems to be embedded in the table. Any tip?

Frames cannot be embedded in tables. Nor can textboxes. But
textboxes can be formatted to be in front of or behind a table.

What makes you think the "frames" are embedded in the table?

Because they were only visible after I had converted the table to
text. But I was obviously using the wrong terminology.

If these are textboxes, rather than frames, display the Drawing
toolbar and klick the button with the big white arrow. Now drage
from one corner of the page diagonallly down to the other corner
(change the zoom so you can do this easily). Any drawing object
(including textboxes) should be marked by little boxes around the
sides.

CrossEyes showed that they were frames and when I right-clicked on
them, I got the menu with something like "Modify frame", and when I
clicked it, I could delete the frames.

The effect these frames have is that they somehow prevents the
page-breaking of the tables that cover them. That is how I know
kinda' that there probably are frames around. The tables start at
the very top of the page, covering any header that is there, and
goes to the bottom of the page, and it is not possible to scroll
down to the bottom of the tables.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)