Venky62 Venky62 is offline
Junior Member

Have you even tried it? Or are you feeling it is more complicated? Since you have so many different scenarios, footnote before character, after character, and none, the only way to deal with all of them is to give you the choice whether to transpose a footnote or not. I don't see how that is more complicated than hunting each footnote in the text, placing the cursor exactly between the 2 characters and then running the macro. So try it out and see. Of course, if you have only one footnote to transpose in a whole document, then this may be more work. But then you may as well do it manually. Why request a macro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter T. Daniels View Post
Why do you want to make it constantly _more_ complicated? I asked for
a button to do one thing (a "transpose" function that works when a
footnote reference is involved) and you've given it a multitude of
functions whose utility escapes me.

It didn't occur to me to ask about this earlier (because I hate
endnotes) -- I don't suppose this will work on endnote references as
well? (Not really a problem, because if any author had for some reason
used endnotes instead of footnotes, I'd simply use Convert to fix
them, and then when done Convert them back. A problem might arise,
though, in the rare event that a document has both footnotes and
endnotes.)

On Jul 30, 8:07*pm, Venky62 wrote:
Okay. That means your document can have a mixture or correctly placed
footnotes and incorrect ones.

That would be its state when editing was partly finished.

Also, there may be footnotes in the middle
of a sentence, not only at the end.

If there's a comma after it (an individual item in a list is
footnoted, say), then it needs to be changed; if there isn't (a note
on the subject of a sentence that would be inappropriate at the end of
the sentence, for instance), then the question would not even arise.

This code takes care of that. It searches for a footnote and asks if you
want it to be transposed. If you click "Yes" then it will do so, else it
will move on. Once it reaches end of document, it will ask you if you
would like to do the search again from the beginning of document. If you
say "Yes", then it will take you to the beginning and you can start
again; if "No" then it does nothing.

That sounds like at least as much, if not more, work than no macro at
all. The point is to _simplify_ editing, not to add complications.

If you still want to do it by placing the cursor between the footnote
ref. and the next character, that can be done too. But this is more
useful.

I suspect you've never been a copyeditor ...

On Jul 30, 3:19*pm, "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
-
And when I tested the new shortcut, I learned that if the period is
already before the next footnote, it'll grab the first letter of the
next sentence. Not really ideal. Takes two Undo's to set it right.

|Filename: TransposeFootnote2.txt * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * |
|Download:http://www.wordbanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=135|