Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
mazorj mazorj is offline

Default Unable to modify shortcut keys

"tomincnj" wrote in message
mazorj,

Tks for the reply and for taking the time to run through the
procedures.

I've tried renaming Normal.dot to oldNormal.dot....but when I
restarted
Word....still couldn't chage the keys. Thus my question about
downloading a
Normal.dot file.

I would think that a new bare-bones normal.dot created from scratch by
Word would eliminate your problem if it is based in normal.dot. It's
doubtful that someone else's normal.dot would fix it.

If I had the original disks for my OFFICE SUITE I would have
re-installed
it....but after 4 moves in the past 8 yrs....latest one to and from
the
Philippines...I haven't been able to locate the disks yet.

When I got my first computer, a CP/M machine, I made dupes of all the
5-1/4" program floppies and put them in my bank safe deposit box. :-D

I'm no longer quite that paranoid but I do have all my important
software disks in a plastic container labeled "Computer Essentials".
They have survived two moves. Having them all together also made it
easier the two times that I had to restore a PC to its original state.

I haven't tried any of the other sites....might just purchase a new
laptop
new week and then purchase the latest Office package from best-buy.

The shortcut key problem isn't a showstopper but it's a PIA..lol.
Lucky for
me that I was able to create a 7,500+ Tagalog word/vocabulary list
before
having any problems. Gives me some time before I need to expand the
list.

Will post my final solution to the problem once I've made a
decision. Maybe
I'll get lucky and find the disks.

Tks again!

It would be great if you can find them because I'll stick by my
suggestion to try an uninstall/reinstall, then before and after you
reload your old normal.dot, see if you can create the shortcut keys
using an out-of-the-box set-up of Word. You also now have a few
hopefully helpful additional suggestions from Suzanne S. Barnhill to
explore. Good luck.