Steve Emerson

I am not the OP, but this thing bothers me too. (The AutoCorrect Options
lightning-bolt button.)

All I want to do is hit the tab key in some text I've already written. I
want a paragraph indent there and forgot to include.

The buttom pops up, covering parts of two lines below. Let's say I want
to read what's under there. It turns out I can, if I hit the spacebar --
anywhere. Then go back and delete the space. Then I can proceed to read
my text.

I've researched this on the MS site and evidently the button can be
turned off in Word 2003. In Word 2004 Mac, evidently not. The "Paste
Options" button can be turned off -- the companion among two buttons
discussed in "Help: About Smart Buttons." It's fairly glaring. For Paste
Options, we see this:
"To prevent this button from appearing, on the Word menu, click
Preferences, click Edit, and then clear the Show Paste Options buttons
check box."

Earlier on in this same text, we find no equivalent passage about
turning off the other (AutoCorrect Options) button.

We need to be able to turn this thing off.

The button seems possibly to become a worse problem when numbering is in
use. (BTW, numbering was a delight in Word 4 and 5; as of Word 98 and
perhaps earlier, a simple list takes much longer to number, especially
if there are lines that interrupt the numbering. I switched to Word 5
whenever I wanted to do this; but in Mac OS X, it won't run except in
Classic mode.)

Any suggestions on the Button? On simpler ways to number?

Thanks,
Steve

In article ,
Daiya Mitchell wrote:

No, that doesn't do it. First of all, the prefs setting only controls the
Paste Options clipboard (I just checked), and I've never had a problem with
that one persisting when I didn't want it to, and that isn't the one the OP
is complaining about, I don't think.

But say I type "hello--what about me?" And the -- turns into an em dash and
I can go back, hover over the blue line under the em dash and get a smart
button (the lightning bolt icon) that lets me undo that autocorrect or turn
it off entirely. I do not want those to vanish, they are occasionally
useful, but [question 1] it would be good to have a way to turn them off.

[question 2] When I move the mouse away from the -- the smart button goes
away. Sometimes, however, it gets stuck on, and won't go away even when I
scroll up and down to refresh the screen. Does anyone else see that, and is
there anything to do done about it? I'm pretty sure this is what the OP is
complaining about, as the -- smart button (I think) is the same as the tab
smart button, more or less.

To the OP (AES): if you are seeing this smart button persist every single
time, and only on the tab setting, but not for other autocorrections, that
would be good to know.

On 6/24/05 4:19 AM, "John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]" wrote:

OK: The thing you are seeing is a "Smart Tag".

In Mac Word, it's in PreferencesEditCut and Paste OptionsShow Paste
Options Buttons

In WinWord it's in ToolsOptionsEditCut and Paste OptionsShow Paste
Options Buttons

Cheers

On 23/6/05 1:53 AM, in article ,
"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

I'm cross-posting to the MacWord group because I just realized I've been
putting up with this annoyance as well. The box is only supposed to
appear
when you hover over that location, but sometimes they do stick around.

See here for Google/Entourage gateway to Mac-specific newsgroups, by the
way.
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/community/community.aspx?pid=newsgroups

On 6/22/05 7:50 AM, "AES" wrote:

I am using Word 2004 for Macs.
Okay you know when every I indent twice this little, tiny, icon box with
lightening bolt inside pops onto the screen giving me these options to
change
back to tab, to stop setting indents on tabs and backspaces, and to go to
the
autocorrect table. Now I do not actaully want to do any of these things,
have tried ll of them, changing random things in autoformat, etc. but
what I
really really really want is to be able to see the text underneatth the
box
and keep working! And no the box does not move. Does anyone know how to
turn
this thing off?
AES