Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default How do I Select an Object with VBA?

Define a range eg as your code

Dim orng As Range
Set orng = Selection.Range 'define a range at the insertion point
orng.Paste 'paste into that range
orng.Select 'select the range
'now you can operate on the selection
If Selection.Type wdSelectionShape Then
Selection.InlineShapes(1).ConvertToShape.Select
End If
Selection.ShapeRange(1).OLEFormat.ConvertTo ClassType:= _
"AcroExch.Document.7", DisplayAsIcon:=True, IconFileName:= _
"C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-A90000000001}\PDFFile_8.ico"
_
, IconIndex:=0, IconLabel:="Acrobat Document"

or if the default paste mode is in-line

Dim orng As Range
Set orng = Selection.Range 'define a range at the insertion point
With orng
.Paste 'paste into that range
'and work with the range rather than the selection
.InlineShapes(1).OLEFormat.ConvertTo ClassType:= _
"AcroExch.Document.7", DisplayAsIcon:=True, IconFileName:= _
"C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-A90000000001}\PDFFile_8.ico"
_
, IconIndex:=0, IconLabel:="Acrobat Document"
.InlineShapes(1).ConvertToShape 'Are you sure?
End With

DerbyDad03 wrote:
I am trying to learn how to Select an object in a Word doc via VBA.

Let me give you an example.

First - I know that I can insert this particular object as an Icon
linked to the file, but if someone can tell me why this conversion
code doesn't work, I'm hoping I'll learn something about selecting
objects via VBA. In other words, this question isn't about the best
way to convert an object, it's about how to select an object.

OK, so I have a new document open. I start the recorder and then
perform these steps:

1 - Go to my desktop
2 - Right click a PDF document and select Copy
4 - Right-click the object and use the PDF Convert option to create a
PDF Icon
5 - Stop the recorder

This produces the following code:

Sub ConvertToIcon()
Application.WindowState = wdWindowStateNormal
Selection.Paste
ActiveDocument.Shapes("Object 2").Select
If Selection.Type wdSelectionShape Then
Selection.InlineShapes(1).ConvertToShape.Select
End If
Selection.ShapeRange(1).OLEFormat.ConvertTo ClassType:= _
"AcroExch.Document.7", DisplayAsIcon:=True, IconFileName:= _
"C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-
A90000000001}\PDFFile_8.ico" _
, IconIndex:=0, IconLabel:="Acrobat Document"
End Sub

Now here's the problem: If I copy another PDF and then run this code,
I get an error related to the object not being found, or it tries to
convert the same object over again, etc. Depending on what I've done
before I run the code, the error will change.

It's obvious that it is not selecting the most recently pasted object
because "Object 2" is hard coded. How do I get the code to select the
last object that was pasted without actually knowing what number that
object is?

Thanks.