Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
what4893

Default Mail Merge & Find/Replace

Sorry for not listing what I'm replacing. I have an Access database
that is tied to some ASP .NET pages I have written. Each month I need
to create letters with some of the data that was entered from the
previous month. The problem is that I need the data split into nice
even columns and the data is coming out in one long stream. So, what I
did is where ever I need a line break I have programmed my ASP .NET
page to output CR then once in Word I just do a find and replace to
convert all of the CR tags to ^l which is the new line character
recognized by Word. Unfortunately if I just use ^l in my ASP output
code Word considers it as text and doesn't interpret the character.

As you mentioned it would be much easier to execute a single long mail
merge and then run the find and replace. This is true except that I
need all the letters broken up into separate files so I can save them
to different locations AND if the letters aren't separated the pages
numbers inserted by Word will say 1 of 76 or however many letters are
created in the one long mail merge. The reason I need the dynamic page
numbers is that the letters are of differing lengths each month
depending on how much information is inputed. Thanks for your quick
response.