Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] joe@pfscalifornia.com is offline

Default Merging from Excel

On Jan 10, 12:04*pm, "Peter Jamieson"
wrote:
First, each time I open the Word document, the Excel table appears three
times.
I delete the two extra tables, but obviously I'd like not to have to do
this.

OK, I tried this and it all seemed to work OK here, except that I now get
messages from Excel that I don't remember in previous versions. I'm on Word
2007 SP1. If you use Alt-F9 to view the underlying field codes, what do you
see? For example, I see

{ LINK Excel.Sheet.8 C:\\Users\\pjj.DOMAINX\\Documents\\nr.xlsx
Sheet2!R1C1:R6C4 \a \f 4 \r }

Also, you aren't doing something like pasting into an existing table?

One of those "d'OH!" moments...I checked with Alt-f9 and discovered
that the code to link the Excel table had somehow been pasted in three
times!. I took the extra instances out and now it works fine.

If I paste and link the cell from the spreadsheet
into the letter, I can't merge it into the text, like this:

Yes, at best the data will refresh if you go into Word Mailings etc., open
the Edit recipients dialog box, and "refresh" the data there.

However, I don't think cell reference syntax lets you specify a cell by
using e.g. [a range name]!R2C1 - everything I have tried here so far fails..

If you can name the specific Excel cell you want to insert, and insert that
via Copy/Paste link, the text is not wrapped up in a table and should be
in-line. Whether it will update when expected or you will get error messages
from Excel I cannot say.

I'll try that. Thank you for the help!

Joe Parsons