Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Default Problems with Word & page layout when sending documents via em

An additional comment:
From your signature its my guess that your document is a CV. If this is
correct, I strongly recommend that you send it as a PDF file. That way you
are sure that the recipients open a document with exactly the layout and
content you created. You cannot control the recipients Word settings - and
maybe they do not have Word installed at all.

If you do not already have a program that lets you create PDF files, you can
find several free versions that can be downloaded from the Internet.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Lene Fredborg" wrote:

Once a document is created, it should preserve styles*, margins, etc.

A guess:
Could the problem be that the recipients have Word 2003 and that they have
Word set to open attachments in Reading Layout (not found in Word 2000 but
the default view when opening attachments in 2003). Reading Layout does not
display pages as they were formatted (but it is only a view - when changed to
Print Layout, pages will be shown as normally). To change the setting so that
attachments open like any other document, the recipients must select Tools
Options General tab and turn off "Allow starting in Reading Layout".

Styles:
If the document is attached to your Normal.dot and if the "Automatically
update template style" in Tools Templates and Add-Ins is checked, the
styles in your document will be updated by the styles in the recipients
Normal.dot. But this should not change the margins.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"cv writer" wrote:

Hi
I've set my document up to print on A4 and margins
Top : 1.2
Bottom : 1.26
Left : 0.5
Right : 0.5
Whenever I re-open document on my end all page layout & styles are preserved.
However, when other folks open document after I have emailed them, the
margins are not preserved.
It's as if client's normal.dot is overwriting style the way I had set things
up.
I'm using older version of Word 2000. (Build 9.0.2720)
I do also make a lot of use of embedded tables in documents, just in case
this is causing some problems. Any ideas.
I am using regular fonts like tahoma or verdana. I did think of embedding
fonts, but don't think this would explain why margins are getting messed up.