Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeviousRedBaron DeviousRedBaron is offline

Default 2003 template into 2007

Hi Graham,
I open my transcription program (created by the transcription company that
I work for) and download my reports over the intranet. These are voice files
and .doc information (that ends up in the header/footer). I double click on
the report I want to type up and a template box pops up. I choose the .dot
template that I need and it automatically opens Word in compatability mode
with part of the header/footer info already in the document. This is usually
the hospital/clinic address and phone number, or what ever info that
particular company has requested. On some reports, there are headings that
are loaded into the body of the document as well. This process is usually
pretty quick, depending on my company's server.

Now, I type up my report in the body of the document. When I am finished, I
have to apply the demographics to the document. This is the information
about the patient, clinic/hospital numbers, doctors' names, cc info...that is
also downloaded with the report from the intranet. Some of this info goes
into the header/footer as well. Some of this info is "attached" to the
document so it is sent to the correct departments/doctors.... Once I apply
the demographics, I have to wait for Word to replace .....something. (The
message on the bottom of Word flashes from a long message to a short one very
rapidly, making it impossible to read the entire message!)

I have read a little bit about writing a code (macro) so that everything
opened with Word is opened in 2003 format. I do not start Word, it opens
with my company software, so I never get to choose a template in Word. I
have also tried to set the compatibility for all documents to 2003 and this
does nothing. Also tried to set it up to save as a 2003 document, as well as
a .dot and this does not make any difference.

I am at a loss! Thanks for your quick response, it is greatly appreciated!

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

You will need to tell us more about the importing of the header/footer. How?
From where?
What is the exact sequence of steps used to create a document. At what point
does the message appear?

DeviousRedBaron wrote:
I am running Word 2007. For work, I download a template created in
Word 2003, then type my document in Word 2007. After this, I have to
import header/footer info that I believe is created with Word 2003.
This takes a long time and at the bottom of the screen the message
"Word is replacing ..." appears. Is there any way I can speed this
up, or avoid it all together? I love Word 2007 and would like to
continue to use it. I do have Word 2003 also. I cannot change the
info that I have to download. I access it through the intranet and
it is different for each report. (I am a medical transcriptionist.)
Speed is important in my line of work! Thanks in advance!!!!!