Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default editing caption numbering separator Word 2007

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm intrigued by your
statement that "Word kept changing the hyphen separator to an en-dash"
because (a) I would not expect this between two numbers with no spaces, and
(b) Word offers the en dash separately as one of the separator options.
FWIW, the "figure dash" provided in some large fonts is very similar to an
en dash, and this longer dash is preferred by many publishers.

http://word.mvps.org

"David Newmarch" wrote in message
I can't work out how to edit the numbering style for captions (with
inclusion
of the chapter number).
The problem has been trying to change the separator in the caption number.
In one case I had decided on the form "Figure 4.1" etc., and then wanted
change that to "Figure 4-1", etc.
In another case I had selected a hyphen as the separator ("Figure 4-1")
but
found that Word kept changing the hyphen separator to an en-dash ("Figure
7€“1). So in that case the problem was also to try and force the caption
numbering to use the hyphen. (So that's really two problems I have.)
Right-clicking and going to "Define new number format" doesn't do it. And
can't a way to change the separator within the field code, because the
code
itself doesn't contain the separator.
So far my only solution has been to try deleting the initial caption and
then reinserting it with the correct separator. But that seems to create a
new set of problems because Word apparently still continues to see the
deleted caption which throws out the numbering sequence. (I guess that
makes
a total of three problems!)
Any guidance will be much appreciated.