Daiya Mitchell

Word does have a sense of layers, and it will do what you want.

How are you putting the logo in the file? If you are using Insert | picture,
in my browse dialog there is a checkbox for "treat pictures as separate
layer" that needs to be checked before inserting. That will allow you to
anchor the picture in the header, then drag it to wherever you want. Word
will type right over it, as it will be a separate layer. Go back to the
link to learn about First Page Headers to prevent it appearing on every page
(or to fix your existing watermark question).

Alternatively, use a borderless table, set the graphic in the right side of
the table, type the address, etc in the left side of the table.

DM

On 1/14/05 10:00 PM, "Tom Leylan" wrote:

Hello... I appreciate the link but I probably wasn't clear. Maybe my
letterhead is unusual but in any case it doesn't stretch across the top of
the page. I've been able to do all things every ponter points out but that
isn't the same as the "layer" affect I'm looking for. It literally
shouldn't take up any space on the surface I write my letter on. Let me be
more clear though. Hopefully this looks like a page with a logo in the
top-right corner. Notice how far down it is? I can't waste the top 1/3 of
the paper and just start typing below the logo. The letter (the address and
salutation) fits quite comfortably in the top-left area and by the time the
paragraphs start I'm below the logo.

If I set a graphic up in that corner (header or not it doesn't matter) I can
print these pages fine. But that means I have to feed the pages back
through when I want to print the letter. That might be better but I'd like
to try to do it in one pass. I don't need Word to make certain I don't type
on top of the logo, if I want to type on the top of it that should be up.

What is happening when I put the graphic in the header is (and I could be
doing it wrong) I force it to the right corner by moving the left margin
otherwise the header stretches across the entire page. Word is definitely
not going to let me type over the empty space in the margin right? So I'm
trying to push the header to the right side. Well of course it then thinks
my paper is really narrow. I just need the header over there not the rest
of it. Again that's why I describe it as a layer. If it could be treated
as a background instead of a foreground object it insists match the rules
for the letter (margins and such) it work fine. It's trying to help too
much.

Some postings have suggested a watermark. I obviously wouldn't want it
faded like a watermark but I think that can be set. I tried it but I can't
find a way to get it into the corner and I suspect I'm going to have trouble
getting it to not print on subsequent pages.

Am I still doing something wrong or is this just not one of the letterheads
it can handle? Is there any way to define an irregularly shaped body or to
define something called an image (which also works) but lock it into place?
I just need Word to leave it where I place the thing and quit trying to help
me out. Is there a way to define a textbox which I can type into that can
be placed on top of the page including the image?

Thanks again.

+-----------------------+
| LLLLLL |
| LLLLLL |