Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
ab ab is offline

Default If field in forms

Thanks Graham, that seems to be working for me now. I just have the problem
with the protect/unprotect bit (i.e. when I protect the template and save
it, on opening a new document I have to unprotect it to get the drop-down
box to work and then protect it again to be able to type on the rest of the
form which is one page laid out in two columns.
Can you help, please?

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
It depends on whose advice you are following
If mine, you only need 1 drop down field. The calculate on exit property
of that field must be checked.
Lock the form. The conditional (IF) field is updated from the choice in
the dropdown field.

ab wrote:
Sorry to be a nuisance - I have been experimenting with the different
advice given and now appear to have got the fields OK with the
drop-down box and the If field in the qualification box.

Next problem: when I protect the template and save it, on opening a
new document I have to unprotect it to get the drop-down box to work
and then protect it again to be able to type on the rest of the form
which is one page laid out in two columns.
What am I missing here, please?

"ab" wrote in message
Sorry but I don't think I've got the hang of this.

The drop-down box with the names works fine - I have that in the
template. When I go to the box lower down the page where I want the
qualification, I can't get this right. I have tried creating a new
macro with the details (amended with the correct names, etc) but
when I try to run it, I get "run time error 438, Object does not
support this property". If I try to do an If field, I am not sure how to
enter the info.

Thanks for your help.

With ActiveDocument.FormFields("Name").DropDown
If .ListEntries(.Value) = "John Smith" Then
ActiveDocument.FormFields("Qualification").Result = "RIBA"
ElseIf .ListEntries(.Value) = "Jane Brown" Then
ActiveDocument.FormFields("Qualification").Result = "RICS"
Else
ActiveDocument.FormFields("Qualification").Result = "ACIAT"
End If
End With

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"ab" wrote in message
Reading through, I don't think I explained it very well.

The form has a drop-down box for the three people.
Further down the form I have to enter their qualifications. One is
RIBA, one is RICS, one is ACIAT.
Depending on which of the three are required, I then put in the
appropriate qualifiication.

"ab" wrote in message
There are three names and three qualifications.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote in
message ...
Do you want the user to be able to select an alternate
qualification from the second DropDown, or is the qualification
intended to be fixed based on the name selected in the first
DropDown? If that is not the case, it would be better to use a Text
FormField for the qualification and run a macro on exit from the
Drop Down to determine the entry that was selected and then use
the .Result property of the Text FormField to display the
appropriate qualification.

If there are only a couple of entries in the DropDown list, an If
field could be used

With ActiveDocument.FormFields("Name").DropDown
If .ListEntries(.Value) = "John Smith" Then
ActiveDocument.FormFields("Qualification").Result =
"ARIBA" Else 'Jane Brown was selected
ActiveDocument.FormFields("Qualification").Result =
"ARICS" End If
End With

but if there are many more than that, then it may be better to
use a Select Case construction.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself
of my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"ab" wrote in message
I have created a form to be filled in using Word 2003. I have
two drop-down boxes which I need to link somehow.

What I want to do is:

If the name in the first drop-down box is "John Smith"

The qualification in the next drop-down box is "ARIBA"

If the name in the first drop-down box is "Jane Brown",

The qualification in the next drop-down box is "ARICS"

Help would be appreciated please.

TIA