Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
me13013 me13013 is offline

Default Aligning figures to bottom of page, WITH working bookmarks

Henk57 wrote:
Frankly, I think you make things far too complicated and that all
because you want yr tables and figures at the bottom of a page. If
it's only for the looks of yr document I would suggest to abandon this
path.

Well, that's not really a viable solution if I want a professional
looking document. Shouldn't I expect Word to be able to do this?

Your List of Figs and List of tables can be generated by the captions,
so why you complicate things by adding bookmarks? Also xrefs can refer
to captions (texts and/or ID number, and/or page number for that
matter).

See my reply to Robert Franz's message for why I went with bookmarks.
Perhaps the built-in Word stuff for figures and table may have been
the right way to go, but I have more lists of items than Word seems to
have built-ins for (as near as I can tell; I could be wrong). The
general solution seemed to be to use bookmarks. Plus I would have to
trust Word to create the List of Figs, and considering my very
frustrating experience with an earlier version of Word, I dont have
that level of trust. You will no doubt be surprised to learn that I
am using book marks and cross references to create my table of
contents, because of the experiences I had in the past where Word
would trash my TOC on a regular basis. I was on a tight schedule to
get the thesis prepared for content review and I did not want to take
the risk of having to continually be recreating things like TOC and
list of figures. I lost of lot of time to that circa 1999 but I
learned from that mistake to try to use as little of Word's special-
case functionality as possible because it very often has problems
(e.g. in my current version if I try to insert a footnote while in
split-window view Word crashes and I lose whatever changes have yet to
be saved).

If a picture doesnt fit it will automatically be displayed on the next
page with an "ugly" white space on the previous page. You can
rearrange yr text in the end (you said you are ready, so this can be
done), or resize yr picture, or accept the ugly space. Captions can be
set to be keep with the table or figure, to avoid a loose caption at the
bottom of the page.

Yep. I am doing those sort of things with the "keep lines together"
and "keep with next paragraph" stuff.

For justifying "half sentences" and avoiding they run towards the end
of the line insert a tab after the period at the end of the sentence
before hitting enter.

YESSS!! Thanks. That was the magic mushroom I was looking for in my
first attempted solution. I'll have to try that to see if it works.

I hope this helps you. If you must these figures / tables at the
bottom (pls tell me why) I will see if I can come up with some other
suggestions.

The document should look professional. It's a PhD thesis and will
represent me throughout the rest of my career.

I think I have enough info now that I can solve this, provided your
tab-at-the-end-of-a-paragraph works.

Thanks,
Bob H