Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DMF2006 DMF2006 is offline

Default Text in Word 2003 Header won't show in TOC - how do I fix this

that's the whole point of Headers....Headings go in the Header...

"Jezebel" wrote:

I work exclusively in the corporate world. And in a lot of years of doing so
I've never met such foollsihness as this.

"DMF2006" wrote in message
Thanks Jezebel - easy to see you don't work with Word in the corporate
world!
Headings go in the Header to ensure that they follow over the page when
that
section does; a section break is then added with a new header for the
following section - otherwise you have to manually add the new header
every
time the text continues onto the next page. thanks for responding, shame
it
wasn't a useful or commercial response!

"Jezebel" wrote:

What on earth are you doing, putting headings in your headers? Of course
they don't show up in the TOC: since headers (by definition) repeat on
each
page, what page number do you expect to see in the TOC?

Format you document properly, with the headings in the *body* of the
document, and your TOC will work just fine.

"DMF2006" wrote in message
I need to use the text in the Headers in Word to generate my TOC - so
far
the
automated system is not picking up the text in the Header and none of
the
commands to mark the text work within the Header. How do I get around
this,
as all our Word documents contain the headings within the Header!
thanks
for
any help/suggestions!