cjkoeb

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

cjkoeb wrote:

well, actually I concidered copy/paste as a work around, not a fix.
BUT, accidentally I did find the problem, though not sure why Word
works this way, but stranger things have been known to lurk in the
bowels of Microsoft. I clicked on TRK to turn off tracking, and low
and behold, OVR now works !!!

any idea of the logic behind that ?

Chris

Yes, that's by design. When you have change tracking turned on, Word needs
to show the old letters as deletions and the new letters as insertions. If
you had overtype turned on at the same time, the deletions and insertions
would be interleaved and very hard to read. Instead, you can select the old
text and start typing, and the entire old text will be marked as deleted
with the new insertion coming after it.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Now that makes sense, and your suggestion for text replacement with tracking
is one I will stick in my tool kit. There are so many tip/tricks in most any
program as complex as Word or Excel. From looking at some of the other
threads that I got when I did a search on "Insert Key", there are quite a few
others having the same trouble, and not knowing that it was the TRK all along
!
Thanks for the help.