Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dave Shaw Dave Shaw is offline

Default Cross References nested in if field in mailmerge

I have a document that uses an ASK field to ask the user a question upon
merging the document. The answer to this question is then used in an IF
field to generate appropriate wording.

The wording then uses numbered paragraphs. Within some of these paragraphs
I have to cross reference other paragraphs nested within this or other IF
fields.

When the document is merged the paragraph numbering works correctly but the
cross references always refer to 1 or 1.1 or 1.1.1.

Has anyone got any suggestions? - as this is a legal document the cross
references are vital. [Ideally I would like after merging for the cross
references to remain in place but don't think there is a way of doing this?]

VB/Macro solutions will not solve my problem as the merge is executed
through an application that prevents the running of other macros. I am
running Word 2003.