Himmelswüst Himmelswüst is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Blom[_3_] View Post
Press Alt+F9 to show field codes in the document. See if the caption
where numbering restarts includes something that the other field codes
don't.

The fact that the formatting of the TOC changes when you update it
suggests that your *headings* include direct formatting. Instead of
applying formatting directly to the headings, modify the heading
*styles*. After that you can safely update the TOC, and the formatting
of the TOC entries will be determined by the TOC styles (TOC 1 for level
1, TOC 2 for level 2, etc.).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

On 2012-05-23 12:30 (GMT+1), Himmelswüst wrote:
I'm formatting a 30+-page documents that will eventually include about
50 figures, and I'm using Word 2003. I've been able to reset the caption
numbers most of the time after deleting figures or changing their
position.

However, in one place, the caption numbers are not in sequence, and
number 10 is followed by 12 instead of 11. Resetting caption numbers did
not work.

I've read numerous other posts related to the topic and tried various
suggested remedies, but so far without success. Some of them, such as
marking the entire document and pressing F9 I don't want to use because
that resets the formating of my table of contents. (If someone knows how
this resetting of the formating can be prevented, I'd be happy to know.
I don't understand why Word appears to assume that whenever I update the
table of contents I would also want to have it all in Times Roman
again.)

Thank you very much for your feedback, Stefan. I'm still not able to solve my problem, though.

I have formatted the different types of headers in the table of contents with styles -- but of course with styles I created myself, not with any of the preformatted heading styles. Nonetheless, updating the fields/directories using Alt+F9 leads to resetting the table of contents.

Another commenter asked whether I had placed any of the graphics in a text box. Well, the graphics where the numbering is wrong (number 12 instead of 11) is placed in a box for inserting new drawings -- because that appeared to be the only simple way of placing it where it needs to be. Is that a problem? If it is, I'd be surprised about the fact that the number of the subsequent graphics is correct.