Write an AutoOpen macro (saved in Normal.dot) to Ctrl+A, F9.

"Faith" wrote in message
But there should be a way for Word to AUTOMATICALLY update

cross-references
and TOC fields (page numbers, in both cases) with the document is opened.

Do
you know of a way to configure this? I don't want my doc users to have to
manually update all the cross-references and TOCs by pressing F9.

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

Have you tried Ctrl+A then F9? If the referred item still exists in the
document, the cross reference to it should then be updated.

interested. Questions sent directly to me will only be answered on a

paid
consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Seb" wrote in message
I write large reports and I use the cross referecne feature for tables

and
figures in Word XP extensively in my texts. Unfortunately now and

then I
have to rearrange or add/remove some of these tables and figures via

the
caption feature. The table/figure numbers are updated automatically

and
correctly, I apprecieate that

However, the cross-references in the texts themselves are not updated

In fact, the hyperlinks also point in the wrong places. That means I

have
to scan through every cross references and manually make alterations

these
references. I think that defeats the supposedly intended purpose of
having
the cross-reference feature in the first place. Perhaps this is a

bug?