Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
David David is offline

Default Section Number not showing up right on page numbers

I am using the section field. Should I not use the section field for the
first section? I think I need to because the first two pages are the table
of contents and table of figures, etc. When I inserted the page numbers I
did use the include chapter number option. When I view the details of the
page, I don't see anything unusual and the first heading 1 label is in the
right place. The heading number is section 2 but I clicked on it to 'restart
numbering' and it shows section 1. I tried to manually change the heading
number to 1 but it doesn't stick.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you are using the SECTION field, then 2 is correct, since the section
after the first section break IS Section 2.

If you've used "Include chapter number" and applied autonumbering to the
heading style that's being picked up by the page number, then this is a
different issue. Sometimes an empty paragraph before the heading (possibly
even before the section break) will pick up the numbering format and be
counted as the first numbered heading. If your heading is numbered, does the
actual h heading numbering start with 1 or 2?

"david" wrote in message
I have a problem with my sections. I have a report with about 6 sections

and
a table of contents in the beginning. I put my first section break after

the
table of contents, and I want the first section and each section after

that
to have page numbers with both the section and page number, but the first
section page numbers always say page 2-1 instead of page 1-1. The second
section and subsequent sections read correctly. I can't figure out why

the
page numbers and captions don't read correctly because I changed the

format
in the bullets menu to start at Section 1. Anyways, a little help would

be
great.