Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie [MVP]

Default How do I get the Word icon to appear on files?

Right-click on the My Computer icon on the Windows desktop,
left-click on Disconnect Network Drive, and disconnect any mapped
drives that are not currently available.

Sara wrote:

I have Office 2003 Standard Edition and recently I've had problems with Word.
The icon for Word files doesn't show up on the file and when I try to open a
folder containing Word files its very slow. However the files still open and
work properly. I've had no problems with any other Office applications.