Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Hyperlink to bookmark in Word 2007

I forgot that you got it to work in Word 2003 (which I haven't tested).

Sorry, I have no further suggestions. I suspect you will have to use the
workaround you've found (saving as PDF).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"John Blight" wrote in message
I don't think it's a security issue, Stefan.

Links of the form:
http://server/mysite/docs/mydoc.doc#mybookmark
file://C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Stefan/Desktop/target.docx#test

work when opening the document in Word 2003, so the behaviour seems to
have
changed in Word 2007. Such links are

Links of the form:
file:///C:\\Documents%20and%20Settings\\Stefan\\Desktop\\t arget.docx

don't look like standard links to me. I've seen the use of '\\' as a path
delimiter in C-based code, or in Windows Registry paths, but not in web
links.

I've been trying to find a way of opening a Word document at a bookmark
through command-line switches, but there doesn't appear to be a suitable
one.

I can save the DOC as a PDF in Word 2007, and link to a page in that PDF,
which isn't as accurate as linking to a bookmark.
http://server/mysite/docs/mydoc.pdf#page=2

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

I'm wondering if this could be a security setting, not necessarily within
Word, but within the browser.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"John Blight" wrote in message
The link is from a webpage to a Word document. Links in the form
decribed
by
Stefan don't work from a browser.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Why do you need a workaround? If you use a properly formatted link
(such
as
the one in Stefan's example), it works, right?

http://word.mvps.org

"John Blight" wrote in message
Thanks for the confirmation, Stefan.

I assume this is a glitch in Word 2007, rather than intended
behaviour.

I'm going to look for a workaround. If I find out anything useful,
I'll
post
it.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

You are right: THAT doesn't work (unless I remove the #test part).
:-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"John Blight" wrote in
message
You're hyperlinking from one Word document to another?

Thanks for your help on this, Stefan. Could I ask you to try
something
else
for me, please?

If you execute this url in your browser, does it work?
file://C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Stefan/Desktop/target.docx#test

Something similar for me doesn't work.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Here's the hyperlink field code:

{ HYPERLINK
"file:///C:\\Documents%20and%20Settings\\Stefan\\Desktop\\t arget.docx"
\l
"test" }

I'm using Windows XP too.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"John Blight" wrote in
message
I've applied all Office updates and all critical updates, but
there's
no
change in behaviour.

I can't link to a bookmark in a locally or network saved Word
document
either.

I'm using Windows XP. Are you using a different version of
Windows?

"John Blight" wrote:

Thanks, Stefan.

Good point about the updates; I'm trying that now.

What was the hyperlink url that worked for you? You say you
were
linking
a document on your local PC, so did that include an explicit
file://
prefix?
Presumably it wasn't an http link?

John

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

In a quick test, hyperlinking to a particular bookmark
seems
work
for me.
Note that I haven't tested with a Word document on the
internet,
only
on my
local computer (which of course may be relevant).

Another thing to consider: Are you using the most recent
updates
with
Word/Office?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"John Blight" wrote
in
message
I can hyperlink to a bookmark in a Word document if the
document
is
opened
in
Word 2003, where the link is of the form:
http://server/mysite/docs/mydoc.doc#mybookmark

However, in Word 2007, the document is opened at its top;
the
bookmark is
ignored.

Could anyone confirm whether this is a known problem with
Word
2007?
have
seen another instance reported:
http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/.../msg00410.html

but supporting evidence would be helpful.

Thanks.

.

.

.