c_angler

My numbering looks as it should now.
I am now having trouble with my TOC.
As I mentioned early on, I am formatting a document that was already
composed with all sorts of bold text, different size font, etc, which shows
as all different types "styles", whether correct or not, in the styles and
format box.
So, as I modified my headers, based my header 1 on no style and linked it to
level 1, based Header 2 on Header 1, and linked it to level 2, and did the
same for level 3.
I don't have any other levels.
Now when I insert my TOC, or update my TOC, only my level 2 headers show,
none of the chapters show up. I have adjusted the dialog box in the TOC menu
to show 1 level, then I showed 2 levels, and neither worked.
Can you help?
Thanks!

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

The following article describes how to set up outline
numbering/numbered headings in Word:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

--
Stefan Blom

"c_angler" wrote in message
I am trying to number sub headings in chapters. All chapter titles

are
working with Header 1. Now I need each chapter sub heading to be

numbered
like this:
for Chapter 1: 1.1,1.2,1.3 for Chapter 2: 2.1, 2.2, 2.3.
I want two digits showing. I have gone to a Header 2 for that, and

tried to
modify numbering, even unchecked the box that says restart numbering

after,
and all my subheads throughout the multi chapter document are

labeled 1.1.
What am I doing wrong?
I have read all the answers I can find in the group session and

still can't
fix this thing! The document was written with little or no styles

applied,
and I am having to do that now.
Thanks in advance.